Thursday, January 22, 2015

Homeschooling And The Working Mom




Yes, we are homeschooling! C is working though My Father's World Kindergarten and Math U See Alpha this year and we are both loving it! We sit down for about 1-1.5 hours four nights a week when I come home from work and we get to work. C looks forward to school all day and she is soaking it all up! As time goes on, I will share some of our more fun ideas with you and tell you all about our "fails" as well (ants...need I say more?). I will also review both programs with my own opinions in a separate post.

I have to admit, sometimes teaching Kindergarten/First/Second all day long and going home to teach for a few more hours can seem rather daunting and is a true test of my patience some days. However, I wouldn't change it for the world! (okay, maybe I would...but only if it meant being a stay-at-home mom and homeschooling). I love seeing how much C learns and knowing it is due mostly to me and the hard work we have been doing. I love seeing her love of Christ and her growing understanding...even though her questions do sometimes catch me off guard and leave me wondering how to answer them in a 4-year old appropriate manner! I also love that we can take learning at her own pace. For example, she is sailing through her Kindergarten curriculum right now and I am finding new ways to challenge her reading all the time (Thank you, Starfall!), but we have temporarily stalled our Math while she works to memorize the facts already taught and review for increased understanding. I love that we can go at her pace with homeschooling!

C may attend public school next year, but if she does we are already planning to supplement with My Father's World First Grade for both the academic challenge and the awesome Biblical studies.

I can't wait to share all the fun things we are doing with these programs with you!

~Mommy S

No comments: