Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Product Review: Bum Genius 3.0 OS Pocket

This product review is written by me and 100% my own opinions.

Rating: B (and falling over time)

Review: Before Baby "S" was born, I did a lot of research into cloth diapering and I narrowed down the diapers that I thought we would like. Among the top diapers was the Bum Genius 3.0 One Size Pocket. I thought it sounded wonderful that it would grow with my baby from the time she was a newborn until she was in training pants! First of all, that is false. Despite what the packaging may say, this diaper does not fit a newborn well until they are about 10-12lbs (much closer to 12lbs). There are many things about this diaper that I like a lot. However, I have been using these diapers for 5 months now and as time has gone on, I have found many things I strongly dislike about this diaper that I have not found with other brands of pocket diapers that I own. Here is my list of pros and cons:

Pros:
*Grows with baby
*Absorbent
*Easy to wash
*Short drying time
*Snap down insert so you don't have to fold multiple times as you insert it into the pocket
*Easy to stuff
*Elastic in the right places

Cons:
*Inside (part that touches baby's bottom) begins to pill over time and becomes scratchy possibly causing a rash on the legs when baby becomes more active
*Hook and loop velcro on the front (not the tabs) becomes frayed, making it very difficult to get the tabs off during diaper changes
*Due to the increased difficulty with removing the hook and loop taps from the velcro front, the velcro front actually begins to tear off. I still have not found a way to fix this unless I take the diaper apart, sew new velcro strip on and then sew the diaper back together.

For the price that I paid for each of these diapers, I am very disappointed with them. I do not recommend buying these unless you know for a fact that the 4.0 version is better (the newest version that has been available for a few months now I believe). The choice is yours, but I do not believe these diapers are worth the almost $18 that they cost when I was buying them.

No comments: