Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Truths About Mommyhood


When you’re pregnant, everyone coos and awws and tells you how fun babies are. I’m certainly not going to contradict that because I love my daughter and I think she’s the most wonderful thing in the world. But…there are things that nobody tells you until you are going through it: The Truth About Mommyhood!

Here are my truths:

1. Breastfeeding: not all rainbows and sunshine in the beginning! It will hurt and you will be sore for a few weeks.

2. Dog toys: not just for dogs! Best toys for teething too (see photo above). Baby “S” loves to chew on dog toys no matter how many times we tell her “NO”

3. You’ll never again be able to pee alone. My daughter crawls after me, opens the door and pulls herself up on my legs. Never again will I take peeing alone for granted!

4. Sleep is overrated. If you’re lucky, your baby will sleep through the night by around 6 months. If you’re like me, you’ll live on hope and hot chocolate that someday this will happen for you.

5. Nap times: not for working! First time moms always want to get tons of stuff done while the baby is sleeping (guilty!). Lesson learned: nap times are for sleeping! (This includes you, Mommy)

6. The perfect Saturday night will no longer mean drinks and dinner with the girls. It will mean playing “peek-a-boo” for the zillionth time just because it makes baby giggle.

7. You will no longer clean your house according to what your mother will see when she walks in the door (unless her visits are few and far between). You will clean your house according to what your baby will see when she crawls into the room instead.

And last, but certainly not least:

8. Love: I don’t care if you love your husband, dog, mom, uncle, cat, etc. You don’t know what love truly is until you have a baby. There is something intrinsically different about the love a mother has for her child, and you can’t know it or understand it until you are a mother yourself. This love makes all the other truths seem completely obsolete (yes, even the lack of sleep).

No comments: